Monday, June 14, 2010

Parties and Purging

Yesterday we went to our friend Maura's 4th birthday party.  Brady got to do 2 firsts.  First he played pin the tail on the ...... but really was pin the shell on Ariel.  And then he got to take a few whacks at a pinata.  He did great with the pinata and even better at snagging the candy afterwards.  He crashed hard on the way home.



Enjoying his chocolate from the prize box.




Once home we took advantage of naptime to begin Operation Purge Everything We Own.  Ok, maybe not everything, but we need to do a serious overhaul on the amount of crap we own if we seriously plan on bringing another kid into the mix.  When we moved to NH we obviously had no kids.  So we moved into a 3 bedroom house and spread out.  Jim has the master closet and bathroom and I use the hall bathroom and guest bedroom closet.  Since Brady will be taking over the guest room I need to move my clothing out.  This is where the problem lies.  Jim's closet is/was packed to the gills.  For a man who wears suits to work 5 times a week he owns a ridiculous amount of clothing.  Like more clothing then most women I know.  He did a great job reorganizing, getting rid of, and donating a bunch of stuff.  We have found out that Jim hoards shoes.  He had 3 pairs of sneakers that could have passed for brand new in box on Ebay.  Crazy I tell you.  One pair was a pair of Air Force Ones.  He owned them when I first met him in college.  When it rained he would make me give him a piggy back ride from the car so his sneakers didn't get dirty.  What a tool!!  And to think I married him after all that.  Anyway, his closet is stripped down and cleaned out waiting for me to move in.  I have always said the key to a happy co-existence is having separate bathrooms and space and we shall see how we do sharing.

We then moved onto my closet.  Now I started weeding my stuff out in the beginning of the spring and was able to consign quite a few things and made some good money.  I went through my sweater collection and finally said goodbye to some favorites.  My mom used to joke that I took my charm school money and bought sweaters and something else with it.  I can't remember what that something else was, but it was probably hair dye.  I went to catholic school for 13 years so when I got to college I owed like 5 shirts and 3 pairs of jeans.  Over my 4 years going to school in the mountains of PA I acquired a few sweaters. Most of those sweaters have shrunk, been dirtied, have holes, or just don't fit anymore.  I am now down to a totally reasonable amount of clothing and even better I have a very simple and cheap plan for the master closet so all of our crap fits in there.  Success!!

Since we were on such a roll with the purging we headed to the basement.  Every 6 months or so I go down and reorganize so we can fit the massive amount of crap we store more easily.  I guess I never get rid of anything though because there was tons to get rid of and I only went through the 2 small closets down there, not the huge open section of storage.  First up was my teacher stuff.  I had 6 tubs full.  Apparently while Jim was hoarding sneakers and ugly t-shirts, I was hoarding teacher supplies.  Anytime someone was giving something away I took it.  I love free stuff.  Jim helped me by going through my "school store" collections.  Funny thing is a bunch of stuff in there was perfect for Brady.  There were Toy Story toys, play cars, a Mater truck, and a few other gems.  I was able to weed through my stuff and got down to 3 or 4 tubs, not so shabby.  I have enough crap to start my own daycare/preschool in my house.

Onto the next closet I went through 3 tubs of books I acquired when my parents moved a few years ago.  I took all of my old books.  I am not sure when I would need a tub full of R.L. Stine and Sweet Valley High books.  But I called the library this morning and they said they would love to have them, so out the went.  At this point I can almost breath thinking there might in fact be space for the female fetus to join us in less than 4 short months. I did manage to find a ton of books that Brady would love: dinosaur, car, truck, animal, and picture books.  Score!!  So after spending about 3 hours we are left with a pile like this:


That pile is two rows deep and that's only trash/donations/recycling.  That's not even the clothing to donate/consign.  Oh and we also found out I hoard boxes.  I guess I feel the need to save any and all boxes of things we buy.  Not sure why?  Maybe because I love to return stuff and worry I will want to return it after a few days and if I get rid of the box, what will I do???  So out the boxes are going.  And on the right side of the picture.....Brady's big boy bed is here.  It unfortunately doesn't have anywhere to go right yet so it will stay there completely taking up precious garage space until we get that room painted.  Our to do list for the summer is MASSIVE!!  Wish us luck.  If you don't hear from us for a few days, come check, we may have fallen into the black hole of organization.

No comments: